General Information & Schedule
Runners from all over the country will be in Rexburg, Idaho on the first Saturday in June to participate in the Teton Dam Marathon & Races. The races include a marathon, half-marathon, relay, 10K, 5K, and Kids Race. The Teton Dam Marathon & Races takes place every year around the anniversary of the breaking of the Teton Dam.
On June 5, 1976, the collapse of the Teton River Dam unleashed a savage flood which caused $500 million in damage, took eleven lives, and made thousands homeless in Wilford, Sugar City, Rexburg, Salem, Hibbard, Firth, Blackfoot, and Roberts.
This tragedy was turned into triumph by the victims' own faith and courage and by an outpouring of aid by many volunteers from Idaho and nearby states. For this reason, hundreds of runners flood the streets to take on their own personal challenge of running a race.
Schedule of Events
Monday June 6, 2017
- Registration for next year opens
Thursday May 17, 2018
- Guaranteed Registration Ends: for guaranteed shirt, swag bag, or awards. Extras will be ordered to pick from, but no guarantee you will get your desired size.
Thursday May 31, 2018
- 6pm Online Registration Closes
o Paper registration available Friday 8am-3pm at The Zone Packet Pickup
Friday June 1, 2018
- 8am-3pm Packet Pickup @ The Zone (275 Stationary Place, Rexburg, ID)
o LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER
- 5-7pm Packet Pickup & Potato Bake Dinner @ Madison Middle School (575 W 7th S)
*Free Potato Bake Dinner for Marathon, Relay, and Half Marathon registrants. Additional tickets available for $6 in advance or $8 at the door
- 6pm Information Meeting (during Potato Bake Dinner) @ Madison Middle School
Saturday June 2, 2018 *RACE DAY*
- 5am Full Marathon runners and FIRST leg of Rely load buses @ Madison Jr High (134 Madison Ave) to be taken to the Historical Teton Dam Site
- 5:30am Buses Leave for Starting Line with Full Marathon Runners and First Leg of Relay runners ONLY
- 6:30am Start Marathon & Relay @ Historical Teton Dam Site
- 7:30am Start Half Marathon @ Middle of the block on 1st North Street/Smith Park
- 8am Start 10K @ Middle of the block on 1st North Street/Smith Park
- 8:30am Start 5K @ Middle of the block on 1st North Street/Smith Park
- 9am-1pm Expo @ Smith Park
- 11am Award Ceremony for all races @ Smith Park
- Noon Kid’s Race around Smith Park
For a registration schedule and event fee information, click here
- Poly Tech Adult Men or Women's race shirt for marathon, half marathon, and relay runners
- 50/50 Poly/Cotton Adult Men or Women's race shirt for 10K and 5K runners
- Finisher medal: every racer will receive a medal when they cross the finish line
- Timing chip for accurate race time (Disposable)
- Bib number
- Swag/goodie bag
- Organized course with water, sports drink, fruit, medical assistance, port-a-potties
- Food and drink in runners' corral at finish line
- Bus ride to starting line for marathon and 1st leg relay runners
COURSE INFORMATION & RULES
The marathon and relay will start at the Historical Teton Dam Site, outside of Rexburg, ID. The half, 10k, and 5k race will all begin at the Smith Park at the middle of the block on 1st North Street.
Mile markers will be set at every mile on each course. Volunteers and arrows on the road will direct you at intersections. Police officers, paramedics, and volunteers will be stationed at key points of the race to assist the runners.
The course will shut down after 1:30 p.m. After this time, runners will need to run on sidewalks and obey all traffic laws in order to finish the race. Thank you for understanding.
Personal support vehicles, unofficial bicycles, baby strollers, in-line skates, skateboards, and pets are not allowed on the courses. Baby Strollers will be allowed on the 10K, 5K. The use of music devices and headphones are not encouraged to be worn on the course.
Water and Sports Drink will be located at the following locations:
Marathon and Relay: Miles 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, & 25 .
Half-marathon: Miles 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, & 12.
10K: Miles 2, 4, & 5.
Medical Assistance will be located at the following locations:
Marathon and Relay: Miles 8, 12, 17, 19, 22, & 25
Half-Marathon: Miles 2, 6, 9, & 12
10K: Miles 2 & 5
Located at following locations:
Marathon and Relay: Miles 3, 6, 8 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, & 25.
Half-Marathon: Miles 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, & 12.
10K: Miles 2, 4, & 5.
Relay teams can have between 2 and 6 members. The course will be divided up into four legs of four miles and two legs of five miles. Transition areas are located at miles 4, 8, 12, 17, and 22. The first leg runner can ride the bus from the Madison Junior High School to the starting line. It is the responsibility of the team to pick up and drop off their members at each transition point. Team vehicles must be marked with provided label as the official team transport-vehicle, only one vehicle per team. This vehicle can only drive through the course once, no circulating the course or portions of the course to check on runners. Any team whose vehicle is found circulating the course will be disqualified. Drive slowly through the course to reduce kicking up dirt and give all runners the right-of-way. The first and last runners of your team need to be wearing the timing chip; the middle runners don't need to wear the timing chip. Only the team's overall time is recorded.
When parking for a relay transition: park 20-100 yards AFTER the aid station.
Transitions will take place 20 yards before aid stations in order to avoid congestion of road.
Closed Course to Traffic
To ensure safety we ask that all thru traffic and spectators not drive the course. Spectators that want to cheer on their runners can do so by accessing intersections that the course passes through; access these locations by traveling on side roads.
Vehicles parked at the Teton Dam Site during the start of the Marathon and Relay will be contained until officials feel that runners have had enough time to clear the roads; a 30 minute wait should be expected. There will be no-parking at Smith Park/Finish Line. Parking is available at the Madison Junior High School, which is one block away.
All races will finish at Smith Park at the middle of the block on 1st North. A digital clock at the finish line will display unofficial finish time. Official times, using the timing chips will be posted at the information tent. Food, water and shade will be available in the runners' corral, located by the finish line. Only participants are allowed in this area.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can I leave my things at Smith Park?
DO NOT leave your valuables in a bag at the park. The City of Rexburg is not responsible for anything left unattended at the park. If you do need to drop off keys they MUST be in your swag bag and the bag must be marked with your name and bib number (duct tape and a permanent marker does the trick) before you leave it at the Info Booth. *We suggest you leave all valuables locked in your car until after you finish your race.
MARATHON RUNNERS: You will need to supply the bag for any gear or personal items you would like transported from the starting line to the finish line. After the race, runner’s bags can be picked up at the Info Booth near the finish line. Bring your bib to pick up your bag.
- Can I register the morning of the race?
- No, only kid’s race registration is available.
- Can I pick up my race packet and swag bag the morning of the race?
- Yes, we do have race packets and swag bags the morning of the race but we encourage you to pick them up before or send a friend or family member to pick it up during packet pick up on Friday if possible.
- Can I switch races?
- Yes, but only before your bib pick-up and no refunds will be given. Also, you will not be able to get a different shirt than what you ordered. For example if you are running the half marathon and you switch to the 10K, your shirt will still be the half shirt.
- Do I have to win the race to receive a finisher’s medal?
- No, everyone who races will receive a finisher’s medal as they cross the finish line.
- Where do the marathon runners meet the morning of the race?
- All marathon runners meet at Madison Junior High School (134 Madison Ave.) Buses leave at 5:30 am to take them to the start line.
- When do the awards ceremonies begin and where are they held?
- Awards ceremony will begin at 11am at Smith Park.
- Where are the porta-potties/bathrooms located?
- The marathon has 6 porta-potties at the start. The ½ marathon, 10k, 5k races have 4 porta-potties and the park bathrooms at the start/finish. Porta-Potties are located on the courses at each aid station.
- Can I switch my shirt for a different size?
- Shirts cannot be switched for a different size until 10:00am on Saturday at the Registration/Info booth.
- Can I pick up my friend’s packet for them?
- Yes, you can pick up a friend’s packet for them.
- What do they have at the water stations? Aid stations?
- Water stations will provide water and nuun energy drink.
- Aid stations will provide bandages, Vaseline, hammer gels, bananas, oranges, water and nuun energy drink.
- Where can I park?
- The northwest corner, northeast corner and north side of Smith Park will be closed off to parking. The best places to park are at Madison Junior High School (134 Madison Ave) and the church parking lot 1 block north of Smith Park.
- Do I have to be present to receive my raffle and awards?
- Can I listen to music while I run?
- We do not recommend having ear buds in while running as it restricts awareness to your surroundings, oncoming traffic, other runners, etc.