The Building Department has the responsibility to assist customers with the building or remodeling of residential and commercial projects within the city limits of Rexburg. The department reviews plans, issues building permits, inspects for code compliance, and issues certificates of occupancy for completed projects.
All construction projects must comply with city building codes and ordinances. The city has adopted the following codes:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 Existing Building Code
- 2017 Idaho Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2013 NFPA 72 Fire Alarm & Signaling Code
Plans submitted for commercial projects must be stamped by a licensed Idaho architect or engineer. The permitting process takes approximately two weeks from initial application to issuance of the permit. The process can be longer depending on backlog. The permit process is on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you would like to call and schedule an inspection you can call the hotline at (208) 372-2344.